Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thoughts on offensive players

Here is a rundown on the 1 or 2 players who I like along with some, for a lack of a better word, "sleeper" picks at each position

Quarterback
- Joe Flacco, Delaware - I watched him in the I-AA playoffs last season and he was impressive...
Sleeper
- John David Booty, Southern Cal - this kid is worth a pick in the fourth round...Southern Cal played well when he was the starter...

Running back
- Darren McFadden, Arkansas - he will be a solid player in the NFL for many years...he would answer the Jets problems at running back...
Sleeper
- Chris Johnson, East Carolina - Johnson is a versatile back who can run, but is so dangerous catching the ball...
- Kevin Smith, Central Florida - you have to be somewhat good to rush for 2,567 yards in Division I-A football...I also like his size of 6'1"...a nice pick late in the 2nd round...a steal in the 3rd round...
- Mike Hart, Michigan - Hart will probably go in the 4th round...he is worth the gamble...he plays with desire and he has the uncanny ability to make plays...

Wide Receiver
I am not really high on a specific receiver....instead, I would roll the dice on some sleeper players....
Sleeper
- Donnie Avery, Houston - the kid has speed....
- Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt - everything I read, this guy does not have all the top skills, but he is tough as nails like Hines Ward...one publication describes him as "more quick than fast"...
- Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State - this kid has speed that kills...just ask the Michigan secondary as he ran past them twice for big touchdowns...this kid has played in big games with Appy State as they won the I-AA title the last three years...
- D.J. Hall, Alabama - I watched this kid a lot over the years...he is not an elite receiver, but he is worth taking a shot with...

Tight end
- Fred Davis, Southern Cal - Davis is a beast at tight end...he is a hard worker
Sleeper
No sleeper picks here

Offensive tackle
- Jake Long, Michigan - the kid is a freakin giant...he needs to move a bit better on pass protection in the NFL against speed rushers...
Sleeper
- Sam Baker, Southern Cal - going into last season, some had Baker as the better ot in college...Baker was hurt at times last year, so his ranking has slipped a bit...he is worthy of a 2nd round pick...

Offensive guard
I'm not high on a specific og...
Sleeper
- Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers - I remember this kid when he came out of high school...he is quietly a solid player...

Center
I'm not high on a specific c
Sleeper
- Steve Justice, Wake Forest - Justice is not rated as one of the top 2 centers in this year's draft, but I saw him play in college and he made plays...

No comments: