The Cubs Dusty Baker preaches to reporters
Friday, April 15, 2005
- Ray Kroc may have been the founder McDonald's, but he wasn't alone in hatching his idea of fast food burgers . . . Richard and Maurice McDonald were pioneers of McDonald's and the quick service restaurant industry . . . Kroc was the founder of McDonald's Corporation . . . Richard and Maurice McDonald converted their barbecue drive-in with car hops into the world's first McDonald's limited-menu, self-service, drive-in in 1948, in San Bernardino, California . . . in 1954, Ray Kroc was granted exclusive U.S. franchising rights by the brothers . . . he opened his first McDonald's in Des Plaines, Illinois in April 1955
- McDonald's first mascot was not Ronald McDonald -- it was "Speedee" a smiling chef with a hamburger head
- Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald
- In 1955 a hamburger cost 15 cents and fries were 10 cents
- The famous Big Mac was introduced in 1968 by Jim Delligatti, one of Ray Kroc's earliest franchisees, who by the late 1960s operated a dozen stores in Pittsburgh
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
A realiable source has provided me with the current odds in Antigua . . . as of this morning, Dionigi Tettamanzi is the favorite -- a $10 bet would get you $20 . . . here are the frontrunners:
Tettamanzi (Italy) - $10 to win $20
Francis Arinze (Nigeria) - 10/30
Oscar Rodriguez Maradiago (Honduras) - 10/50
Joseph Ratzinger (Germany) - 10/50
Jaime Lucas Ortega y Alamino (Cuba) - 10/100
Also, if you still have a few more bucks and want to bet on what will be the name of the next Pope, here are your odds on that:
Benedict - 10/30
John - 10/30
John Paul - 10/50
Pius - 10/60
Andrew - 10/100
The odds on the next Pope being over 70 years old is high - you have to place $30 just to win $10 . . .
Get to your piggy banks and let the betting begin!!
1. Heart disease - most people think cancer is the top killer in women - NOT!
4. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) - example - bronchitis, emphysema
5. Alzheimer's disease
The leading cause of death in men are as follows:
1. Heart disease
7. Influenza and pneumonia
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Sunday, April 10, 2005
On the Indians
- Aaron Boone may be a steal for the Tribe . . . he played well in the field and is hitting at the plate . . . general manager Mark Shapiro did well by signing the injured Boone last August
- he may never be an All-Star, but Casey Blake is just a plain ole simple baseball player . . . this guy can play any position . . . offensively, he is a solid hitter
- the Tribe propoganda team (aka Cleveland media) built up shortstop Jhonny (yes it is spelled that way) Peralta during spring training . . . he was supposed to be the next Barry Larkin . . . through four games played, Peralta has committed four errors . . . it's funny how the Cleveland media failed to mention that Peralta is a liability in the field
- the Indians better hope that Dave Riske and Arthur Rhodes can close games because Bob Wickman will not make it through the entire season as a closer
By the way, whatever happened to John Rocker? . . .
On the Yankees
- from day one I have stated that the Yankees made a mistake by signing pitcher Jaret Wright . . . Wright had one good season -- and that was last year in the National League . . . 1 good season!!! . . . Wright is a headcase who couldn't handle the pressure when the Indians fans got on his case -- what is he going to do when the New York fans start on him? . . .
- the Yankees Mariano Rivera better get ready to hear the chant "Who's your daddy" during his next appearance at Fenway Park . . . the Red Sox have gotten into the head of the greatest closer of all time
- Bernie Williams is in the last year of his contract with the team . . . he has gotten off to a terrible start batting .063 and has stranded runners in scoring position often
- Tampa Bay's Jorge Cantu had three homers during the week . . . I say he won't finish with 20 on the year . . .
- are the Angels officially the Los Angeles Angels???? . . . I lost track . . .
Series of the Week
Yankees @ Red Sox - the Yankees head into Fenway on Monday after beating the World Champs 2 out 3 last week . . . on Monday the Sox players get their World Series rings and raise the championship banner . . . the Yankees players should sit in the dugout and watch the ceremony to refresh their memories after choking last October . . . here are the possible pitching match-ups
Monday - Mussina vs. Wakefield - Yankees win
Wednesday - Wright vs. Arroyo - Red Sox win
Thursday - Johnson vs. Schilling - Yankees win
Prediction - Yankees will take 2 of the 3 games