Thursday, July 31, 2008

Manny Ramirez traded to the Dodgers: Boston gets Jason Bay from Pirates

Thursday, July 31, 2008
Ramirez traded to Dodgers in three-way deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Slugger Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox appears to be over.

A baseball source has confirmed Ramirez has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, ESPN.com has learned. The Red Sox will pay remaining $7 million of Ramirez's contract, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported.

Jason Bay is going to Boston as part of the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. And the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as part of the three-way deal.

Third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris will go to the Pirates from the Dodgers. Outfielder Brandon Moss and right-handed pitcher Craig Hansen will leave the Red Sox organization for Pittsburgh, ESPN.com has learned.

Remarks by Ramirez, who has been involved in trade rumors the last few years, might have been the final straw.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com Wednesday. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy," Ramirez added. "I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

ESPN.com staff writer Amy K. Nelson, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney and ESPN senior writer Keith Law contributed to this report.

No comments: