Sunday, June 11, 2006

Top 5 things I like about the Indians

Okay, as most of you know, I am not a big fan of the Cleveland Indians...I usually write about things that 90 percent of the Indians fans don’t want to hear, but know are true.....anyway, today I am going to write about the five things I like about the Cleveland Indians.....in a following blog, I will write about the five things I hate about the Tribe.....well, here it goes....

5. Sizemore and Hafner
Of the current Indians players, I believe that Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner are 2 legitimate studs.....a few weeks ago I was surprised to find out that Hafner is already 29-years old....he is a solid number three or four hitter....Sizemore reminds me a bit of Carlos Beltran – a guy who can do a little of everything.....

4. When Rocco Scotti would sing the national anthem
What ever happened to Rocco Scotti????.....at old Municipal Stadium, he would always sing the national anthem on opening day, the Fourth, or when the Yankees came to town...I question if Scotti ever performed the national anthem at Jacobs Field.....Scotti had a great voice....please leave a comment whoever knows what happened to Scotti.....hopefully the guy is not dead....

3. The 1970s players
Growing up I remember the names of Kuiper, Gamble, Bell, Spikes, Dilone, Garland, Manning, Perry, Monge, etc.....even though the team sucked, for some reason I always liked those players.....remember when the Tribe used to wear all read uniforms....Boog Powell looked like a huge red blood clot out there....and those hats with the crooked letter "C" were sweet....

2. Albert Belle
The name Albert Belle is hated as much as the word "New York Yankees"....I still stand by this -- the Indians organization should retire Belle’s number 8.....as much as the fans hate to hear this, Albert Belle was the one who helped put the Indians name back on the map during the 1990s.....Belle was the Indians first true superstar since Rocky Colavito.....in his prime he was the most feared hitter in the game.....sure he was a nutball who had issues with his anger among other things.....but the guy could flat out hit....sorry Tribe fans, but face it, Belle was the greatest hitter in the franchise’s history....

1. The Chief
I like Chief Wahoo....I still remember seeing the huge Chief Wahoo sign, in his batting stance, outside ole Municipal Stadium (left)....you don’t see the body shot of the Chief anymore....its always just his headshot.....I know all these politically correct nutjobs say that the Chief is derogatory toward Native Americans.....but come on people, go listen to some 1960s Grateful Dead and eat your sushi....this is the Chief!!! – lighten up already....



No comments: